Free lunchtime family history talks at the National Library of Ireland
If you're interested in family and local history then the National Library of Ireland (NLI) is for you this month! Twenty experts in the field of Irish family history will speak as part of a series of short lunchtime talks throughout the month of August, giving you the tools to help you along with your own family tree research.
The talks are being run as part of the free Genealogical Advisory Service available to anyone who calls in to the NLI or the National Archives and are being organised by Eneclann and Ancestor Network, in partnership with the NLI. You can read more about the Genealogical Advisory Service at the NLI at www.nli.ie/en/genealogy-advisory-service.aspx
Talks are taking place most days in August at 1pm in the Seminar Room. We've had a fantastic response to the talks so far, so while there is no need to book and seats are available on a first come, first served basis, we do recommend getting there early to secure your spot.
Speaking this week (from Monday 13th August) are:
- Susan Hood of the Representative Church Body Library on 'Records for genealogical research at the Representative Church Body Library'
- Turtle Bunbury, author of Vanishing Ireland, on genealogical resources for 'Big House' families
- Jennifer Doyle, Eneclann, speaking on using newspapers to trace your family history
- Brian Mitchell, author of A Guide to Irish Parish Registers will be talking about Irish placenames
- Eileen O Duill, professional genealogist will be giving a talk on 'Irish births, marriages and deaths for beginners'
For further information visit the Eneclann website at www.eneclann.ie/2012/07/summer-lunchtime-series-2012/ or the NLI's events page at www.nli.ie/en/list/current-events.aspx
(With thanks to Vicky McAlister)
Check out my Scotland's Greatest Story research service www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
New book: It's Perthshire 1866 - there's been a murder... www.thehistorypress.co.uk/products/The-Mount-Stewart-Murder.aspx (from June 12th 2012)