Sunday 21 July 2013

Postgraduate Certificate in Genealogical Studies - applications

A quick note to say that if you want to sign up to study for the University of Strathclyde's Postgraduate Certificate in Genealogical, Palaeographic and Heraldic Studies, you should try to get applications in by mid-August - if still interested in applying after this you should contact the university directly to enquire about availability of any remaining places.

I studied the course when it first started in late 2006, and can thoroughly recommend it, particularly if you are wishing to pursue a career as a family historian or work in an associated discipline (such as ancestral tourism). I have just spent the last session for 2012-2013 working as a tutor for the certificate course, which is now run entirely online, and whilst it has evolved from the original programme, the core lessons are much the same in terms of the areas covered. There's in depth study of various topics of interest from across the British Isles, including vital records research, heraldry, palaeography, land records, inheritance procedures and more, as well as additional topics such as the growing area of DNA within genealogical research. The course itself can also be followed by a postgraduate diploma in the same subject, and ultimately a masters degree. It is hard work, but there is no better feeling than the sense of completion and achievement!

Due to several commitments next year I won't be tutoring on the 2013-14 session, but hope to return in due course. If you have any queries, do drop the core team an email (or feel free to drop me a note, always happy to offer advice!). For further details, including the current timetable for a sense of what is involved, and the course fees, consult the course's website at www.strath.ac.uk/genealogy/.

Good luck!

Chris

My new book, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet, is now available from Pen and Sword. My Scottish land and church records ebooks are available at http://www.gen-ebooks.com/unlock-the-past.html, whilst my next Pharos Scottish course, Scottish Research Online, starts Sep 4th - see http://pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=102. Time to smash a few brick walls...!

2 comments:

  1. I just had a look at that course it sounds like one I would like to do as I am into genealogy and archives (mostly the genealogical side). I'm definitely thinking about doing my archives and records management degree in 4 years time. I'm also into the DNA side of genealogy as well. I would love to get the opportunity to do this course as well. If you finish your masters thesis in genealogy can I go on to do my phd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, the course at the moment is in three yearly stages - Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters. Best bet is to contact Tahitia McCabe or Graham Holton at the university and they can advise further!

    ReplyDelete