Monday 2 October 2017

Heraklion's Koules Fortress

I returned from Crete a week ago, but have been fairly tied up on a few fronts since then - no rest for the wicked! However, I took some photos at Koules Fortress on my last evening in Crete in the capital city of Heraklion, one of my fave places on the whole island, which I thought you might like to see. It's an old Venetian fortress located at the end of a pier in the city's port. For more on the fortress's history, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koules_Fortress


















Chris

My next 5 week long Scotland 1750-1850: Beyond the OPRs course commences Nov 6th 2017 - details at https://www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=302. For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.

1 comment:

  1. Fond memories of Crete 30 years ago now. Where has the time gone?
    That October there was a cucumber growers strike and by blocking off only 4 crossroads plus the road to the airport, they ground the island to a halt. I saw a traditional Greek protest held on the steps of the town hall in Rethymnon. The square was jam packed with pickup trucks sporting cucumbers from every orifice including the wheels. Reminded me of ancient war chariots with knives sticking out :-)
    I spent hours in Herakleion museum.

    ReplyDelete